- If you notice a green checkmark on a person’s profile image on the website, this indicates that the person in question is now online.
- This is an indication that is quite similar to the one that appears on the Messenger app.
- On the Facebook website, the green dot is shown on the profile page of each individual user.
- Visit someone’s profile if you want to know whether or not they are now online.
What does the Green Dot mean on Facebook Messenger?
Anyone who uses any social media app regularly is likely aware that the presence of a green dot in a user’s profile shows that they are currently connected to the service. Messenger is now a standalone app after Facebook’s decision a short while ago to decouple it from the main Facebook website. Despite this, you may continue to use Messenger by downloading the Facebook app.
Why does the green dot appear next to a person’s profile?
Even though a green dot will display next to a person’s profile, this is not a reliable indicator that they are currently conversing on Messenger. The Facebook app could be running in the background, or the user might have forgotten to log out of Facebook before closing the app; either way, the green dot will continue to appear even if the person isn’t actively using the app.
Why is there a green dot next to the video icon?
- If you have given Facebook permission to use your camera, the green dot that appears next to the video icon will likely remain lit up anytime you are using the Messenger app, even if you aren’t recording a video.
- If, on the other hand, you have not granted Facebook permission to use your camera, the green dot will only appear next to the person’s profile photo when you see their information on Facebook.