5 tips to help you nail content marketing

Content marketing tips

Content marketing has been around for a long time and over the last few years has gone mainstream, becoming an integral part of many business marketing strategies, both big and small.  

So, what exactly is content marketing?

According to the Content Marketing Institute, ‘content marketing is a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action’.

Content can be delivered in a multitude of formats, including video, blogs, whitepapers, slideshows, e-books, case studies and photos to name a few, across any number of platforms online such as social media and websites. Whilst there is no shortage of content out there – research released in 2014 showed that in 2013, 5 exabytes of content was created EVERY DAY, so with figures like this it’s obvious there is a content glut. This makes standing out exceptionally hard – so how do you ensure your content is deemed valuable and gets noticed?

Tips to nail content marketing

1. Understand your audience

Quite simply, the better you know and understand your audience the easier you will find it to create content that resonates with them due to high relevance. Spend time deciding who you are targetting, build a profile of them then start writing specifically for that profile.

2. Create good content with the audience in mind

This may sound like a no-brainer, but it is harder than it sounds. For content to be considered good by your audience it needs to be relevant (see tip 1), well crafted and provide some obvious value to your audience. Keep the end user in mind and make sure you develop content for them, not for you. Aim to deliver original content as often as you can, and if this is not possible curate content from industry journals, bloggers you follow, news articles or from Tweets or posts. A great idea when curating content is to add your own voice to the content via a comment or short introduction – this will give it a personal feel and give extra relevance to your audience.

3. Mix it up a bit

Most content is adaptable into more than one format, so as you create your content take a look at how you can use it a number of different ways. For example turn a series of blog posts into an e-book or a how to video into an infographic (or vice-versa).

4. Spend time on the headlines

The headline is what grabs the attention of the audience and convinces them to click through to read/view more, or not. Spend time getting the headline right and 80% of your battle is won, the remaining 20% lies with the opening paragraph. Be wary of using headlines that could be deemed click bait as these will be punished by Google and Facebook.

5. Publish it widely & wisely

Once you have created your fabulous piece of content, publish it widely. Utilise all your available avenues, including websites, email databases, newsletters, social media platforms, sharing platforms, email signatures and partners. The more you put it out there, the greater the chance it will be read and shared.

Nailing your content marketing takes time and effort. At some point, all businesses engaging in content marketing as part of their strategy experience hits and misses – the trick is to persevere and discover not only what’s right for you but importantly what’s right for your audience.

If you need help with your content marketing strategy, contact us today to see how we can work together.



About Zena Churchill

Zena Churchill is a Director at Max & Buddy Consulting. She has worked in senior level business roles across national and multinational corporations, as well as being a small business owner. Zena is a strategic thinker and brings a practical, straight-forward approach to marketing and social media. She has a passion for training & development running practical business workshops for small business. Zena is a Certified Practising Marketer (AMI), sometimes tutors in Marketing at the University of Wollongong and is a Senior Consultant with Trinity P3.

Leave a Reply

WordPress Anti Spam by WP-SpamShield

Call Now Button